Need to take your snacks with you? Sometimes running errands, running kids to and from after-school activities or traveling will require you to pack snacks to take with you in order to keep it healthy. Here are 8 healthy snacks that will travel with you easily.
1. Fresh Fruit – Apples, oranges, pears and bananas are all fruit that have their own outer shell and don’t need to be refrigerated. They are perfect for popping in your purse or a bag to tote with you when on the go.
2. Nuts – Almonds, pistachios and walnuts are all great choices. Many times you can purchase 100 calorie snack packs of nuts that are pre-measured out for you. Whether you have to portion them out yourself or not, nuts contain a good amount of fat and protein to keep you sustained and travel very well in a plastic bag or container.
3. Seeds – Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are great options to pack for on the go. Pop them in a zip lock bag or a small plastic container and you’re on your way. You only need a few tablespoons of seeds which makes them easily portable. They can fit in a pocket or small compartment.
4. Jerky – Organic beef, chicken or turkey jerky is a fabulous protein source that doesn’t need refrigeration. Seasoned or unseasoned, you can find so many varieties of jerky in organic and natural versions.
5. Organic Popcorn – There are numerous varieties of organic and/or non-gmo popcorn out these days. Plain, salt and pepper and cheddar are just a few of the popular flavors. You can easily purchase snack sizes of popcorn which are already pre-measured out or buy a big back and divide up into smaller portions. Popcorn is so lightweight so it won’t bog down a bag or tote.
6. Kale Chips – While the thought of kale chips may not sound appetizing to some of you, these delicious chips come in so many varieties and are full of flavor! Plus, the pack some serious nutritional goodness. Ranch, barbecue, chipotle and plain are among just some of the flavors that are available today. They come in large bags and smaller sizes which gives you some options to choose from. They’re light weight and low cal – perfect for on the go.
7. Veggie Chips – Baked veggie chips like beet, carrot and sweet potato are a great crunchy snack without all the heavy carbs like regular potato chips. Just make sure to get organic or natural chips that aren’t junked up with sweeteners or unhealthy oils.
8. Trail Mix – A mix of nuts, seeds and dried fruit can often give you the boost you need! Trail mixes come in a variety of flavors from sweet to sour. Single servings and large bags are available too! Grab and go.